Old pump and open side (hey, this at least gave us the chance to explore what our hot tub looked like inside)
So, I found a great website with lots of information and the best list of specs to compare to the old pump. Plus, they had some great prices... so good that I found an excuse to order a new cover for the hot tub.
Here is the new pump installed... doh! less than an inch too short.
After 3 visits to the local hot tub shop (who were very friendly, even though they likely marked-up the plumbing parts 10 times more than they should have... but hey, I was in a bind and Home Depot didn't carry these parts)... I got it all together... and no leaks!
Overall, I made it extra difficult on myself because I wanted to eliminate a slice valve that seemed to have leaked before and was patched poorly, I didn't measure the pipes (hence the multiple visits to the shop because of a stealth reducer), and I didn't wire it properly to begin with (causing me to be challenged re-wiring it after it was installed and the tub filled with water). The improper wiring wasn't all my fault - there just wasn't enough information anywhere, so I had to guess (and you would think that the common wire would be connected to the terminal labeled "c"... but no, that one just doesn't get used).